My husband and I just repainted our whole entire house and believe me it was a lot of work! I did learn a lot though, some through trial and error. That is why today we will be sharing some tips and tricks on how to paint your house.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure you clean everything you will be painting. Baseboards, trim, walls, etc. The paint will adhere more to the walls if they're clean.
- Use packaging tape along the floor just underneath your baseboards. So that when your painting your baseboards you don't get it on the ground.
- Tape off the ceilings! I was lazy and in some rooms I didn't tape of the ceiling and I wish I would have. I spent more time fixing my mistakes from getting paint on the ceiling then I would have if I had just taped it off to begin with. TIP* I bought my painters tape from the dollar tree and it worked great!
- Home Depot Edge Cutter! This thing is amazing! We realized these existed when we were halfway done. Click here to see the product. It makes that clean cut finish between your walls and ceilings.
- Lay down plastic sheeting all along the floor and whatever you don't want to get paint on.
- Sample Paints! Sample Paints! Sample Paints! There about three dollars at home depot and they are totally worth it. I bought about 20 sample paints when we were painting but I would have done it over again because I would rather realize I didn't like the color before I put it all over my walls. TIP* Paint the area of the wall and look at it morning, noon, and night. Paints can be different colors in different lights. Try this app. called ColorSnap, it lets you take any photo and match the colors of the photo to paint colors..
- Home Depot can pretty much match any paint color that you have. If you have a Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, etc. They can color match it! Its the best thing.
- This is just me personally but once you have decided on the color you want, before buying a 5 gallon bucket I would just buy the one gallon paint of it first. Paint one of rooms and see if you like the whole room that color. Sometimes when the whole room is painted it can bring out other colors. Like pinkness in beige. We learned the hard way lol
- Lastly, I know that flat finishes are in right now but if you have little kids like me scrubbing those walls when they get dirty can take the paint right off. If your not wanting very much shine I would use a semi gloss finish so that its still easy to clean and wont rub off!
We hope you enjoyed these painting tips. They will definitely help you! Have a great day.